Friday, July 25, 2008

The Long Haul

I simply sat there, on that wooden bench just outside of Barnes and Noble, listening as he talked about possibly changing the rest of his life. I wondered why it was me he'd called with such important questions. It was obvious he had his future in mind. But why me, his sister's ex?

I had no answer to the question in my mind. So I sat...and listened.

I spoke when I thought things needed to be said. I tried to be insightful and possibly impart some wisdom it seemed he thought I had. Most of all, I tried to keep him from choosing to abandon his passion. It might not be the most lucrative profession, but you've got to do what makes you happiest, I told him.

I really think the people who do what they're passionate about are paid in the future. It might not be monetarily, but they're repaid. If you wind up not being the breadwinner in the family, it doesn't mean you won't be able to contribute to the family just as much as your spouse, it would just be in different ways. You can teach them about history and show them why it's so important in life to know about your past.

I hope I was able to help. Strangely, talking to someone so sure about his passion, but unsure about what to do with it helped me. My unemployment hasn't been easy for me, as many of you know. As the time has gone on, it's been increasingly difficult. But reassuring him about his decisions helped to reassure me about my own.

I know there's something better out there.
It might not be the best-paying job or come with status or any of those other things some people without degrees wind up with, but I know I'll be repaid. God is faithful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have a point, i believe it's true that people are the happiest and can give the most when it's something they truly enjoy and don't see as "WORK". one of my boys has just quit a lucrative gig to work on a screenplay...I feel he's got the talent to succeed, but the world is super cold to any and all entertainers. It was good advice...I hope he takes it in pride in the end...

Sean said...

yea, i feel that's how we can worship God every day of our lives without even trying hard...by doing what we're passionate about. we weren't created with specifics likes and dislikes for no reason. there's a method to all the madness.