Monday, January 5, 2009

I Pick 'Em

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a huge football fan. Actually, to say huge really doesn't quantify the just how much I love the sport. There are so many intrinsically human virtues to be learned while playing it. I was lucky enough to play 11 years and have followed for longer than that.

Needless to say, with the NFL playoffs being here, I'm a little more than pleased. I don't bet on the games, mostly because there's no "lock" in the NFL and I couldn't handle leaving my money up to someone else. I'd rather play poker and leave it up to myself rather than whether or not Eli got a good night's rest the night before. I do, however, like to pick the games and have gotten pretty good at it if I do say so myself. I stay up on The League and so I can comfortably make picks and stick by them. In this week's Wild Card Weekend, I went 3-1 with my only loss coming by way of the stupid, refs who officiated the Chargers/Colts game. (I had Colts winning, 24-21. That defensive holding call in OT was such a sham. Absolutely horrible. I guess it's a bit of karma that after all the hard-luck calls the Chargers got during the regular season, a couple finally go their way in the playoffs. But I don't accept that.)

So, I'm thinking maybe I'll post my picks on here from here on out so that I actually proof that I can pick 'em...you know, aside from having to refer people to Josh so they can ask him whether or not I said it. Anyway, without further adieu...

NFC Division Series Games
No. 6 Eagles at No. 1 Giants: Given how well Philly is playing, I'm sure most people will probably pick them, citing their current run, the fact that they already beat The New York Football Giants last month and that the Giants have injury (Mammoth Jacobs) and idiocy (Plexibrain) problems. All of those are valid points and, for the record, it seems like Jacobs means much more to them than Plax. (Unfortunately, Mr. Burress probably won't realize that fact until after he's been traded to the Raiders for their second and third pick in this year's draft.) Brandon Jacobs' style may make him injury-prone, but it also inspires his teammates and makes the collective toughness of the team spike up to Ray Lewis levels. He'll be ready to go, and so will the Giants...Giants 27, Eagles 20

No. 4 Cardinals at No. 2 Panthers: In their win against the Falcons, the Cardinals proved that A) a motivated Edgerrin James is better than almost any other running back in The League, B) Kurt Warner wins the award for Professional Football Player Who Most Looks Like An Actor In A Disney Film Trying To Play An Actual Football Player In His Uniform, C) Larry Fitzgerald is Amazing (but I already knew this, having had him in my fantasy league all season), D) they'll still probably lose to Carolina in a lopsided affair. Yes, they're playing better than they did all of last month and yes, they were able to stop The Burner from running all over them, but Jake Delhomme is no rookie QB and DeAngelo (he's acheived one-name status) is too, too good to be held down by a porous run D. The Panthers O-line is very good and Delhomme will change up the cadences a little more to keep the Cards linemen from getting off faster than the offense, like it did against Matt Ryan and the Falcons. This one won't be close...Panthers 34, Cardinals 17.

AFC Division Series Games
No. 6 Ravens at No. 1 Titans: Baltimore will probably be a trendy upset special here, simply because of how well it played against the Dolphins and that absolute MONSTER of a defense. (Seriously, any time Ray Lewis is your third-best player on defense, you're in pretty good shape.) I told Josh last night that Ed Reed would get two picks and return one for a touchdown. Of course, now it just seems like I made it up. Regardless, those two won't be his only interceptions for this post season. I've never been a big Titans fan. I've always thought they'd crumble under the pressure. I mean, come on, Kerry Collins is their leader. The same guy who looks like he's in a permanent drunken haze. Yes, I know he's sober now and I'd congratulate him on that if I ever meet him, but there's no way he doesn't throw three picks and lose at least one fumble against this Ravens D. They're just too good and playing too well...Ravens 23, Titans 12.

No. 4 Chargers at No. 2 Steelers: Having just beaten the only other team that was as hot as them, the Chargers are probably all fired up to play a team with which they're familiar for yet another opportunity to prove people wrong about them. The Steelers, on the other hand, were beaten by Tennessee and then lost Ben Roethlis-no one buy him another-berger to a concussion in the season finale. His tally might not be in the Steve Young or Troy Aikman range yet, but it's getting up there. Can a possibly still hazy QB who holds onto the ball too long succeed against a typical Ron Rivera attacking-style defense? I think he can. Plus, he'll have that defense ready to make up for any sudden changes he might give them. One of the best defenses ever (statistically) against a groinless L.T. and little kid who runs around like he's had too much sugar? I'll take the D...Steelers 24, Chargers 16.

BONUS!!! Fiesta Bowl!
No. 10 Ohio State vs. No. 3 Texas: Texas has every reason to win this game. With a big win, they can possibly steal enough votes to be AP's national champ. They're still upset about the whole "We beat Oklahoma by 10 points on a neutral field" thing, so they'll want to make the Buckeyes their personal soapbox. The Big Ten hasn't won a BCS game since Ohio State stole the title from Miami in 2003. That's a while. Ohio State, specifically, has looked HORRIBLE in any big non-conference game over the last couple years. But maybe that's the biggest reason why they just might have a shot. Their senior class this year has been simply embarrassed on a big stage. This just might be the right time for them to get their revenge....and a true freshman just might be the person to get them that win. Pryor is legit. I'm still glad Tressel didn't play him more against USC, or else it would have made my Saturday a little more tense. He's way better since he was then and everything I've seen from him says special talent. He's like Vince Young, but with a better throwing motion and no schitz emotional problems. I know it's not logical. I know I'll probably hear about this one from my friends, but I gotta do it...Buckeyes 31, Longhorns 28.

EXTRA BONUS!!! Championship Game!
No. 1 Oklahoma vs. No. 2 Florida: For whatever reason, this game has been really tough to figure out. Some days I think Florida's pair of young RBs will be too quick for the Oklahoma linebackers and secondary. Then I think about how that Sooners' offense could just dominate every phase of the game against a young Florida defense still probably a year away from being able to really come through when necessary. That no-huddle is no joke and Bradford runs it like a finely tuned machine. Tim Tebow may not become the best pro, he may look like an old-school quarterback taking his yearbook picture when he sets up to pass, but he's no loser. He seems to become inhabited with some crazy spirit and will his team to victory. That said, I will never pick an SEC team, much less root for one. The defense will be non-existent, the QBs will play their hearts out and, in the end, Sam Bradford will show everyone why he won the Heisman in the best championship game since Texas/'SC...Sooners 48, Gators 44.

No comments: