Wednesday, July 25, 2012

One Step at a Time

I'm usually pretty conscious about where I put my feet around my shower. God decided to bless me with some rather large feet and so ever since I've had size 15s, I've had to be careful about stepping in and out of the shower. One false step and I could be tumbling into or out of the tub basin.

That's why Sunday morning was so strange. I have never purposely kicked something as hard as I accidentally kicked the little metal tracking at the bottom of the shower door. I'm talking Claire Huxtable stubbed toe don't touch it! don't touch it! kind of pain. I thought for sure it was broken.

I limped around my room and got ready for work, which specializes in finding ways to make my feet hurt on normal days, let alone when I've driven my left foot into something so hard that I have to bite a towel to keep from screaming. The first two hours were just brutal. Shooting pain, difficulty maintaining my balance both standing and walking. My mind began to wander to how much it was going to cost me to miss work days while the walking boot was on my foot.

But then something strange happened. As the day wore on, I realized the pain had diminished. My efforts to change my gait worked so well that I no longer felt any pain. Sure, there were the occasional missteps, but for the most part, it was successful.

It seems I'm like that in general. I've made my share of missteps and stubbed my toe, but sooner or later, I figure out a way to eliminate the pain. We're all like that, really. Well, most of us anyway. Mind, body and soul, we are adaptable. We find a way.

The last few years have been littered with obstacles thrown in front of me and -- if I'm being honest with myself -- me creating my own impediments. But here I am, finding a way. I'm not sure what the next step is, but I can be sure that even if I stub my toe so bad that it more closely resembles an eggplant than a digit, I'll be just fine. I will find a way.

God bless the perseverant.

No comments: