Thursday, October 31, 2013

I Lost My Marbles


I lost my marbles today.

That's actually not true. A more correct statement would be that I ran out of marbles today. In January, after having decided this year would be the one in which I finally ended my battle with my weight, I wanted to add a visual motivator. So, I bought a bunch of marbles from Hobby Lobby, actually way more than my goal at the time. I wanted to lose 40 lbs. In 2007, I lost 60 and then gained 30 of it back over the course of time. Life got in the way of me getting down to my actual goal. I'd gotten close and then relaxed and it felt pretty far away at times, even though I've consistently gone to the gym since having finished with football.

Well, as the weight came off, more and more of me wanted to just keep going once I'd actually get to my stated goal. The plan was to tell people one number and secretly just keep on going until I ran out of marbles to put in my vase. Though I knew I was approaching that day, I didn't realize I was this close. It caught me off-guard upon realizing.

Weighed in after cardio this morning: 60 lbs down from the beginning of this year. My body isn't where I want it to be quite yet, but it feels great to know I've accomplished something that has hovered over me like the moon over the Earth. Whether day or night, even if I wasn't conscious of it, it was there. I've been big since I was about 8 years old. Now it's time to just be me.

The weight loss has been part of a much larger initiative, which I'll get into on another date. (Me posting more is also part of it.) Cheers to those who chase their dreams, live courageously and fight the enemy every chance they get.

No comments: