Thursday, June 26, 2008

Primal Urges


Sometimes you just wanna howl at the moon, kinda like my good buddy Quinton "Rampage" Jackson up there. By good buddy I mean, I've seen him beat people up on t.v. just like everyone else. See, he's a mixed martial artist...as in he beats people up for a living. Every time he wins, he howls. It's his "thing" and probably something his competitors wished they'd thought of first. It's a pretty cool celebration and takes you back to when us humans were fending for ourselves in the forests and deserts and prairies of this world. Sure, we weren't howling, but I'm sure we had to be making some sort of primal screams to show just how dominant we were.

I don't know about anybody else, but for the last few months, I've been itching to howl. It sounds weird, I know. But I remember when I was playing football and we'd scream and hoot and make whatever else noise we wanted during pregame. If you scoff, just try it some day and see how you feel afterward. Giving a powerful, unrestrained yelp could very well be cathartic. And while I'm not sure how soothing it'd be to beat someone up for a living, I can see how they'd go hand in hand with the after-the-fact howling.

Maybe I'll do it at Ryan's wedding. The howling, not the beating of people. Although I think either way I'm going to be the hit of the party! Wohoo!

No comments: