Tuesday, December 23, 2008

When Reality Ruins Fantasy

I love fantasy football.

Towards the end of last season, Washington Redskins tight end Chris Cooley found himself with a bit of a problem. Like many other NFL players, he's a big fantasy football guy, and was the top seed in his real team's fantasy league playoffs. Late in the game, with the Redskins' playoff hopes still very much in the balance, Cooley caught what turned out to be the game-winning touchdown for his team. It also wound up being a stake in the heart of his fantasy team.

You see, the person he was playing that week actually had Cooley as his tight end. So, while those 6 points may have gotten the Skins into the playoffs, it ended his fantasy season.

It's a tough little task to find the balance between rooting for your fantasy players and your actual favorite teams, especially for someone who grew up being more allegiant to teams than specific players.

Take tonight, for example. I found myself rooting for the Bears to win, but against Matt Forte, who was on the team I was playing for the championship in my fantasy league. If that wasn't sick enough, I actually have Forte on one of my other teams, The Little Mansies, as my friend Ryan's wife, Holly, so eloquently described. But we'd dominated so thoroughly on Sunday that we didn't need any Monday mashing.

So, imagine my discontent when, with my lead becoming increasingly shorter, the Bears turned to Forte with the game on the line.

"OK, I'm still up by nine, so watch, he's gonna run for a 10-yard touchdown for seven points and then Crosby is gonna come back for the game-winning field goal and that's how I'm going to get beat," I told one of my best friends Josh as we watched the game.

"It's really my own fault. I didn't start the right guys this week, I guess. I scored more on my bench with four guys than I did with nine starters. If you score what I did, you don't deserve to win."

Well, the field goal from Green Bay's kicker, who my opponent also had, never happened. He missed two in the game, one of which would have won the game with :25 seconds remaining. Nope, my season actually ended when Forte ran it in from seven yards out (after having run for three yards on first down) to simultaneously tie up the game late for Chicago, which eventually won, and give me a two-point loss in the finals.

Geez, I hate fantasy football.

4 comments:

www.johnicareed.com said...

When Reality Ruins Fantasy... this title perfectly sums up my thoughts from this morning. I usually experience fantasy becoming reality, but I've found myself in a situation where I don't think it's possible. Shame!

Sean said...

what happened to you "always get what you want?"

www.johnicareed.com said...

I do, I'm just not sure this is really what I want - and if it is, I'd end up giving up other things I know I want. It's actually quite confusing!

Sean said...

well, some sort of sacrifice comes with every decision we make. the part that's uncertain is how willing a person is to make that sacrifice. that's what keeps them or allows them to make the decision.