Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Block Is Hot

Recently, a teenager was beaten to death by a swarm of delinquents in Chicago, the area in which I currently live.

He was an honor student.

A video of the beating, in which the 15-year-old was punched repeatedly, kicked mercilously one he hit the ground, then hit with a 2x4 over hit back and head, has been making the rounds on the news channels. Jesse Jackson has arrived. Barack has voiced his opinion. I have not seen the video as a whole, just bits and pieces.

I can't stomach it.
I'm too horrified.

The thought that not one person in this mass of at least 50 teenage boys didn't come to his aid is what troubles me most...aside from the reality that he did nothing to provoke them.

How does NO ONE help?
How does NO ONE intervene?
Where is the conscience of today's youth?

And why is it more concerned with tight jeans and stupid dance moves than whether or not one of it's own is beaten in the street like some unwanted dog?

I am confused and dismayed for our future.

No comments: