Monday, October 12, 2009

Cold Snap

It looms over my head, like some dissonant, ominous music in a horror film. I know I'm OK now, but in the future? Hmm...

When I moved to the Midwest, I knew at some point there would be something I've never experienced for any long period of time. You know, bitter, numbing cold. I thought about it, and wasn't too afraid of it, but now that it's almost here, I'm not so sure what's to come.

People keep just assuming it's going to be some tragic experience for me, the Cali kid, but I'm not sure. I mean, it's just a little cold...and snow...and ice...and snow...and cold...and...ummm...what else?

So yea, as I make my way through this winter, I ask for any handy tips or anything that might help me deal with the cold weather and driving in it. And not losing any appendages in it. I like my appendages. They suit me just fine.

5 comments:

JR said...

Gloves, scarves, thermals!! And of course snuggling with me will keep you warm :)

S.A.M. said...

Hi Sean,
It's been many years since I've lived in such a cold climate, but here are some tips that mom and dad taught me: always keep your ears covered when outside, wrap your pipes inside, slow down when driving and go with a skid. You hopefully will not need most of these. Love, mom

Holly Snyder Thompson said...

invest in a really good window scraper with a brush on one end. maybe you already have that, but if you don't you should buy it now so that you're prepared for the first storm.

also, when it's supposed to snow, set your alarm 10 minutes earlier so you have time to let your car defrost before you have to leave for work.

be prepared for your pant cuffs to be marked white from the street salt.

try not to become depressed =).

Carrie said...

Start your car 10 minutes before you actually want to leave, blasting the heat to the windshield. It will help thaw the ice and ease the transition outside.

Keep spare snow clothes in your trunk (and a bathing suit, in case the opportunity comes for a jacuzzi visit).

(See? I'm following your blog now!)

Sean said...

wow, so many tips! i love it. thanks guys! i already have my scraper from the spring. it snowed once, so i bought one and then it never snowed again. ha. i guess He was just making sure i'd be ready for the winter.

the extra clothes is a good idea...hadn't heard that one before. oh, and the last time i was out here, i noticed the white around my ankles. took me a while before i realized it was salt.

oh oh OH! and i still need my boots. no way i'm getting caught wearing tennis in the snow (again).